From:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Matt Wickey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 1995 16:14:19 -0500
Kenneth Baker writes:

>You are absolutely right indeed!  College Hockey is something that is
>becoming extremely big at the 44 or so universities that have it.
>Another thing:  I suppose the PRIME College Hockey Game of the Week is a
>national thing.  Is this shown all over the US?  Maybe we should try to
>get FOX, UPN, or WB to do College Hockey so it get a bigger push.
>I would prefer FOX because all they have is NFL and NHL and their sports
>department needs to compete with the Big 3 during College
>Basketball/NBA/NHL since they have nothing between January and April.
>
>Putting college hockey on a major network is the best thing to do to give
>it a push!

I think we should be careful what we wish for.  I, too, would like to
see college hockey get wider recognition and media coverage.  But, should
it ever get to the level of college football or basketball, it
wouldn't be the same game.  To me, one of the greatest things about college
hockey is that very small schools can compete with very large schools.
And I mean really compete!  But if it ever got the national attention
like basketball's March Madness or football's bowl season, the monetary
stakes would go up drastically.  Big schools with other large programs would
probably be able to transition into that without much problem.  Some
small schools wouldn't.  There just aren't enough dollars at small
schools to keep up with that.

Just my $0.0183 (given the current status of the dollar).

Matt Wickey                     LSSU '86
Carnegie Group, Inc.            Go LAKERS!