From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 11:15:51 -0400
Princeton (14-10-4, 9-9-3)  0-0-0_0
UVM (17-12-2, 10-9-2)       1-0-0_1

First period: 1. UVM: Sorg (Festa, Eboli) 19:07
Second period: None.
Third period: None.

Shots_ V: 11-7-5_23; P: 9-10-8_27
Saves_ V: Thomas 27, P: Konte 22.
PP_ V: 0-5; P: 0-6.
A_ 4,035

Comments:

The Sorg goal was a slapshot from just inside the blueline that
deflected twice before getting behind Konte. From the press box,
it looked like Vermont's Justin Martin got a piece of it- but the
scoring never changed (to our knowledge).

Pretty conservatively played game by both clubs. Princeton generally
matched Casson Masters' line against St. Louis/Perrin, and was
fairly successful. St. Louis/Perrin certainly had chances, but Konte
was sharp and J.C. Ruid missed a couple of great power play opportunites
set up by his linemates.

Princeton really didn't have too many offensive opportunities until the
last 10 minutes of the game. Keith O'Brien missed on a partial breakaway
against Thomas (who was sharp throughout) and Brent Flahr was stopped
in close in the last couple of minutes, after Konte was pulled for the
extra attacker.

I was very impressed with the resourcefulness of the UVM defense. I think
there are several more talented groups of six in the league, but the
combination of team defense and heady play by the blueliners makes Vermont
better than the sum of its parts. Mike Larkin gets high marks for scrappy,
smart play.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck
The Trenton Times