From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Feb 1995 10:47:24 -0500
With all the talk about the Hobey recently, I would like to remind
people that there is a file in the HOCKEY-L archives dedicated to the
award.  It includes:

* A list of winners including final stats for some winners.
* A year-by-year list of finalists, including the final balloting
order where it was known.
* An explanation of how balloting works, taken from the 1994 award
portfolio.
* A list of award criteria.
* A very short description of the trophy and who the model for it was.

Something to add in the future would probably be background on Hobey
Baker himself.  I just haven't done this yet.  The file has evolved as
time went along since its creation a few years ago.

You can obtain the file by sending mail to [log in to unmask],
and in the body, put the command

GET HOBEY WINNERS

It should also be available by gopher or through any of the ways you
would connect to the archives, such as WWW.

Since Ralph asked, I will include here one segment from that file, the
listing of award criteria.  This is from the 1994 award portfolio
which was distributed in St Paul.

+   Award criteria include:
+   1) Candidates must exhibit strength of character both on and off
+the ice.
+   2) Candidates must contribute to the integrity of the team and
+display outstanding skills in all phases of the game.
+   3) Consideration should be given to scholastic achievement and
+sportsmanship.
+   4) Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules: be full time
+students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university; and
+complete 50% or more of the season."