From:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chuck Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 02:53:51 -0500
Nate Huang raises valid questions about the Cornell program and Greg Berge
adds his usual insight.

As Greg says, this year has seen some improvement over the past two.  The
play has been pretty good starting with the holiday tournament games (for
part of those games at least) through this past weekend, exceptions being
the RPI and two Colgate games.  And things have really picked up the last
six games, led by the spirit and physical play of Matt Cooney and others
like Jamie Papp.  Increased physical play, improved defense, more
determined checking, and quickness to the puck have been seen in every
player.

Some of this may be from self-motivation, some from McCutcheon.  The point
in regard to coaching, however, is that one has to have this approach game
after game, year after year, and we have not had this at Cornell in recent
times.  McCutcheon survives in part because every (or most) years there is
at least a patch when the team looks to be on the upswing.

In addition to failure to sustain play at this kind of level, recruiting
would seem to be the major problem.  Yes, we have some good talent.  Yes,
competition is much tougher than in the old days and we can't expect to
have a monopoly on Ontario recruits.  But if Cornell is to rise again above
the middle level, it's going to take some greater attention to getting blue
chip recruits.  It seems like we haven't had that capability since Mike
Schafer left.

If one is satisfied with a middle-level Ivy League program, the status quo
may be okay.  If sights are set higher, the evidence says it isn't.  I'm
not even totally sure how I'd vote.  Whether McCutcheon returns will be an
interesting early read on the new AD, Charlie Moore.  I have very fond
memories of watching him run the quarter mile at Cornell and following his
Olympic goal medal career, and was happy with his appointment.  I hope I
like his AD tenure equally.

--
Chuck Henderson  <[log in to unmask]>