From:
JASON BEAUGRAND <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 1995 13:28:21 EST
> There've been answers to this posted already, but since I noticed
> that there were responses from various regions, I thought some
> differences were worth noting:
>
> NCAA:
>         1. Goalie doesn't serve minors (penalty served by player on
>                 ice at the time the offence occured -- this is a royal
>                 pain if the penalty is on delay for a while, since
>                 there can be many changes by the time it's whistled!).
>
>         2. Goalie serves majors (can replace by substitute goalie, but
>                 total on-ice strength reduced by one -- usually the
>                 team puts in their other goalie rather than play
>                 without one just to keep up the nos of `skaters'!!!).
>                 Another player from that team (not nec on the ice at
>                 the time) sits with the goalie in the penalty box, and
>                 enters the game at the end of the 5 minutes.  The
>                 goalie
>                 can't go out until the substitute goalie (assuming
>                 there
>                 was one!) has left the ice.
>
>         3. Goalie serves misconducts (replace by sub goalie or player
>         as
>                 in 2 above, no change in on-ice strength, goalie can't
>                 get back on ice until next stoppage of play after the
>                 10 minutes are over).
>
>         4. Goalie `serves' DQs!!!!!!!!!
>
> USA Hockey:
>         1. As in NCAA 1.
>
>         2. Goalie doesn't serve majors -- treated as in 1 above with
>                 only difference being exit from penalty box after
>                 5 minutes instead of 2 minutes (yes, player must still
>                 come from the ice -- have been there at time of
>                 offence).
>                 Note that goalie does still get a game misc if gets a
>                 second major in the game.
>
>         3. Goalie doesn't serve misconducts -- treated as in 1 above
>                 with only difference being exit from penalty box after
>                 stoppage after 10 minutes (yes, player must still come
>                 from the ice).
>
>         4. Goalie does serve game or gross misconducts, or ejections!
>
>         5. Goalie does serve match penalties (any associated additional
>                 penalties served by player from the ice).
>
> Canadian Hockey Assoc. (used to be CAHA):
>         1. As in USA 1.
>
>         2. As in USA 2.
>
>         3. As in USA 3.
>
>         4. As in USA 4.
>
>         5. As in USA 5.  (This level of agreement is very rare!!!!)
>
> Graeme Bailey

The goalie can act as the player from the bench serving a bench
minor (ie. to the coach for something) but that is very rare
because the penilty must be one that the player won't come back
on during the play because  one team can't have two goalies on at
once.

On a different note.
    His grandfather jumped from amature to Pro, making a long,
lasting stop in Toronto and his number 10 hangs today in Maple
Leaf Gardens.  His father went from Unionville (just outside of
Toronto) to Princeton, and stayed about a year and a half, before
moving to the NHL, with Pittsburgh and LA {I'm not sure but I
think that is only where he played} and now, as of about two
weeks ago, Syl Apps III will attend Princeton next year.  He will
most likely play for the Tigers next season and will be a great
help to them.  Syl has not applied anywhere else, and the only
reason that he hasn't signed his letter of intent, (and you
didn't read about it on the back page of the sports section) is
because he said "There is no point.  I wanted to go there, and I
didn't apply anywhere else, so yes, I'm going to Princeton next
year."

    -Syl will be accompanied by Francois Magnant (Yale) and Jim
Morresy (Yale) as UCC grads attending Ivy League schools for
hockey next year.

    Who cares? Well, I hoped someone did, because I sure love
saying it!!

|:=From The Brain Of: Varsity Hockey Vet|=|=|UCC is=:|
|:=and native of Toronto-Jason Beaugrand|=|=|a High=:|
|:=I-net address: [log in to unmask]:|