From:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Berge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 1995 12:17:20 -0500
On Jan 10, 12:33am, Luiz F. Valente wrote:

> Maybe they've all transferred to Brown. If they haven't, maybe they
> should. Meehan Auditorium is the cathedral of indifferent fans.

Shouldn't be, since Brown is IMHO the most entertaining team in the conference.
 They are the fastest, have the most talented forwards, and against Cornell at
least played with the attitude "hey, if you think you can play at our level,
let's party!"  (Then again, they could afford to...)  The best team in the
Ivies this season (and an enduring symbol of hope for teams that will remain
nameless going through terrible stretches).

The major factor in crowd response, I am more and more convinced, is whether
there is a band.  90% of fans are only going to cheer when there is a big play:
a goal, a big hit, an exceptional save.  The band helps keep the casual,
facetime fans vocal even during periods of slow action.  There is also a
carry-over effect when a crowd which has a band most of the time is suddenly
without it.  I have noticed at Lynah that on rare occasions when there is no
pep band, the fans still get into the play and are vocal.  This also helps
immeasurably when the fans go on the road (and also when the team is less than
sterling).  But at other buildings, even those where there seems to be strong
interest in a winning team and a long tradition, the fans EXPLODE after a
goal... but otherwise are virtually out-cheered by the visitors.

A correction to my last post about Brian McCutcheon: he is not 100-95 at
Cornell; he is 100-97.  Here's hoping he can get out of January before his
other century mark.  (Hint: don't bet on it.)

Greg Berge
Cambridge, MA   (Where binding referenda are neither.)
Let's Go Red!