From:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Hendrickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 1994 11:55:57 EST
Here's my contribution to MOSTLYRPI-L.  :-)

Steve Weisfeldt wrote:

> I've always thought that a team should make every effort to have a
> reliable pair of goalies.  Depending on a sole netminder can cause serious
> problems if he goes down to an injury.  Despite that Roloson was the man
> for Lowell last year, I had wished that Craig Lindsay had seen a little
> more action.  Lowell was lucky, but what would've happened if Dwayne was
> hurt down the stretch?  It would've been "game-over" for Lowell.

Given Lindsey's mediocre performances this year, if Roloson had gotten
injured last year it would have been "game-over" even if Lindsey had picked
up a few more games.

> Likewise, an ideal tandem would have the two goalies in different classes
> so that when one graduates, you've got one seasoned goalie left.  Again,
> see Lowell.  Would this year's team be enjoying a little more success if
> Craig Lindsay had seen more action last year?  Not a lot perhaps, but
> certainly a little....

That depends.  If Lindsey's problems are totally inexperience, then if he'd
played more last year UML would have sacrificed some wins last year for some
this year.  A debateable proposition.  Teams thrive on feeling that the best
players are playing.  This is especially true for senior-laden teams like last
year's UML squad.  Considering that they felt they came a whisker away from
the NC$$ tourney the previous year, and considering that Crowder had a choice
between the top goalie in Hockey East and Lindsey, I think Crowder made the
right choice.  You can look back in hindsight and said that they'd have made
the tourney with a few more losses, but there was no way of knowing that
beforehand.  I'm convinced that sacrificing wins on a senior-oriented team is
a big mistake.  Assuming that you'll still make The Dance even with a couple
unnecessary losses is setting yourself up for heartbreak.

All the above is based on Lindsey's problems this year being totally
inexperience.  If, however, Lindsey is simply a mediocre collegiate goalie,
then taking those unnecessary losses would not have helped the UML situation
this year.

I'm convinced anyways that most of a player's improvement comes in practice
time and Lindsey must have gotten his share last year.  Games are important
but if you've got a horse in goal, ride him!

DaveH