From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 08:37:48 -0500
Well, I was named by John to respond to questions about behavior.

This is like asking Lucifer to comment on the propriety of
religion. Not being a choir boy at MTU home (or away) hockey
games, I am not certain that I can defend the NCAA announcement
before the games.  To the immense embarassment of my wife, I have
been known to say, (she claims that I use my "command voice",)
things about refs such as Buzzy, Brutal Bob, and Chick, that have not
been published on this list or elsewhere. In fact, she threaten
to watch the games from behind the goal rather than from over the red
line where our season tickets are located. The people in front of me last
year wore ear protection.

This year, I am strategically placed such that there are no people in
front of me. They have placed me between our local judge and a very
senior, calming professor in my department. I have decided to approach
the game this year in a more gentler, kinder, nature. Last week, the
professor loaned his seats to a hockey ref. Imagine me sitting next to
a NCAA hockey ref! (I learned a few things from him. Apparently, he
thought the penalties called were also marginal. He was a very enjoyable
and knowledgable fellow.)

The truth of the matter is that banging on the glass is dangerous
not only for the players but also for the fans. I have seen the glass
shatter or fall out of the fixtures on three different occasions. The
same goes for standing on the folding seats that are used in our
arena. This frankly ain't too smart.

As for verbal abuse of ref's, opposing players and occassionally
home players, I am less definitive on. I don't, and would submit
that most fans do not, want to hear a stream of curses. This is
clearly beyond the scope of civility.

But what about comments that do not contain curse words? I personally
don't like to hear a lot of whining about this call should have been
called to that call should have been made. When a ref calls something
that is questionable, I have been known to verbalize.  Under the
current rules, both of us should be ejected from the game for abuse.
Fortunately, the people enforcing the rules are somewhat more liberal
about their interpretation of abuse. It is my way of thinking that
there are far too many rules both for the hockey players and the fans.

I come from a background that says that hockey is a contact sport.
Furthermore, hockey fans are expected to move and occasionally indicate
that they are alive. (This is necessary when watching games at
forty below as we use to do. We needed to identify cadavors. The new
arena's make us a little pusillanimous.) While at West Point, watching
games at old Smith Rink (teams coached by Jack Riley), the fans were
essential to getting Army's wins. That could be their problem now:
a fine arena but reduced home croud advantage.

Now a little older and maybe wiser, I would suggest that comments
made in the spirit of team support, should be permitted. When the
fan support becomes violent as indicated by physical damage  or
potential physical damage to the fans, the players or the refs,
immediate action needs to be taken. Making a warning announcement
before the game is NOT the way to encourage positive fan attitiudes.

Walt Olson
MTU