From:
"Scott S. Biggar" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 05:49:25 PDT
The whole situation with NCAA DII hockey is too bad.  The NCAA created the
current situation 10 years ago when they temporarily stopped having DII
national championships.  It was then that RIT and others bailed out to DIII
hockey, leaving only 13 teams left in DII.  I agree with the NCAA that 13 teams
isn`t really enough to bother holding a national championship for.

The other mistake that the NCAA seems to be making is not allowing the DII
programs to play down to DIII next season.  The addition of some high quality
programs like Bemidji St. (an old RIT rival) Mankato, etc. to DIII hockey would
be a boon to the league.  I kind of understand their concern about "playing
down" to a lower league, etc. but there is a precedent here and when it
happened 10 years ago with RIT, et. al. moving down to DIII it didn`t seem to
adversely affect the DIII leagues very much.

The other concern I have, being an RIT fan, is what will happen to the ECAC
West if Mercyhurst either drops hockey entirely or moves to a DI independent.
The league is already down to 5 teams, losing another will probably spell the
leagues demise.  Maybe the SUNYAC`s would reconsider their position and reform
the NYCHA between themselves and what is left of the ECAC West?  Probably
wishful thinking on my part.

Well, just some early morning ramblings on the subject.

Scott Biggar                    Phone:  (716) 427-5668
EDS Corporation         Internet:       [log in to unmask]
Henrietta, NY
All opinions expressed in this mail can in no way be attributed to my employer.

ps.  Is it just me or has hockey-3 been exceedingly quiet so far this season.
I know it is still a little early, but gee whiz.