From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Thu, 6 Oct 1994 05:24:12 -0400
Many former college hockey players play in Europe after they leave
school.  Little news comes back to the US about how they are doing.
Once, by accident, I saw such a game.

I was on vacation in Germany in July 1977 and was spending a night in
Fuessen (near the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles).  I saw
flyers on poles advertising a hockey game between the town team and an
Italian team from Milan, and decided (as most on H-L would have done)
to see if I could get a ticket, which I did.

I was surprised to see that one of the players on the Milan team was
former RPI player Dino Serra who had just graduated earlier that year.
I think that there were also other players who had played college
hockey, but when I looked at the roster list yesterday, I could not
identify them.

Even in the alps, it gets quite warm in July, and the rink in Fuessen
was open at one end.  Fans were used to lessen the effect of fog from
evaporating ice, but were turned on or off depending upon which end the
Fuessen team was defending.  I don't recall who won.

Ralph Baer   RPI '68, '70, '74