From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Apr 1994 12:11:32 EDT
Bri writes about New York State high school hockey, which reminds me of an
answer to the question, "Where do bad refs go to die?"

This year's NY Division I championship was won by Ithaca High School (rah!).
In the championship game, against Niskayuna of Schenectady, one of the refs
was Michael St. Louis.  Anybody remember him from the ECAC four or five years
ago?  Probably not -- he only lasted a couple of seasons.

Also, Bri writes:

>         It's no where near as huge as the ones in MN or Mass. The problem
>being that it's a HS-only tournament and often the top seniors end up
>in prep school.

That's certainly been the case with Ithaca High, which was a power in the
mid-80s, winning state titles in 1984 and 1987.  In recent years, a number
of players who would likely have starred with the Little Red (no joke, that's
their real nickname) opted to go the prep route instead.  In large part
because of that, Ithaca High plummetted to a 1-18 record three years ago
before rebuilding.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)
LET'S GO RED!!
"My brother's got this 65-mile-an-hour bass fishing boat.  Now, I don't think
 bass can go 65 miles an hour...  Maybe he catches them and takes them skiing
 or something."
-- Blake Clark