From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Mar 1994 20:16:34 EST
I know this is a bit of a trivial matter, but someone was wondering a short
while ago how many teams in Division I could end their seasons with a win.
I came up with eight:

     The national champion
     The two teams from the ECAC who don't qualify for the playoffs
          (Yale and Dartmouth in this case -- both lost their last game)
     Independent teams Army and Air Force
          (Army won their last one, Air Force lost theirs)

In addition, three of the leagues have consolation games in their post-
season tournaments (the CCHA does not), and if the winners of those games do
not go on to the NC$$ tourney, they would end their seasons with wins.

(We could technically add seven more, since there are seven "Division I"
teams that do not play enough games against Division I competition to
qualify for the NC$$ tourney, and thus could end their seasons with wins.)

And (I hesitate to say this) maybe through some convoluted court mess, Maine
might even wind up ending their season with a win, i.e. not advancing at some
point.
--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick                        |  Send your HOCKEY-L poll responses to:
Cornell '86 and '94 (.5)            |  [log in to unmask]
LET'S GO RED!!
"I've pushed and pushed on this foot pedal and nothing happens."
-- from a call to the Dell Computer Corp. technical support department from a
   user who, as it developed, was trying to turn on the computer by stomping
   on the mouse