From:
Chris Gorski <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Gorski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 1994 23:36:15 EST
Hi all!

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Steve's comments. I'd like to point
out two games that I have seen which are really indicative of this:

1. Brown @ Princeton. Where was Cerbo looking all night? I was watching
   the game pretty closely (at least, when I wasn't trying to find
   official-looking people, but...) and whenever I saw Cerbo, he was
   staring into the crowd. It was clear he was completely disinterested
   in the game. Because of this, Cerbo basically made up penalties as
   he went along, or called (most of the time) coincidental penalties.
   Whatever happened to Ammian and Saba?

2. Tonight (Union @ Brown). I'll freely admit that Union outplayed Brown.
   However, the winning goal clearly should have been disallowed. The fact
   is that the ref could have and should have called interference on any
   one of about three Union players. They were rather clearly interfering
   with Finch's playing the puck. Last I checked, this counted as inter-
   ference. (Belanger, at least, appeared to want to call it, but was
   overrruled. This was the one good call I think Belanger ever tried to
   make.)

Here's a larger question: How many refs actually call interference when
it happens? The NHL has cracked down on it, and I should think it would
be a good deal more important to enforce the interference rules in
the NCAA.

Just my own rantings,
Chris Gorski

= CHRIS GORSKI                         = "NO BLEATING IN THE       =
= BOX 6245 * BROWN UNIVERSITY          = "SERVICE AREA."           =
= PROVIDENCE, RI  02912                =                           =
= E-MAIL: [log in to unmask] =     --SIGN SEEN IN        =
=    -OR- [log in to unmask]              =       BROWN SNACK BAR.    =