Sender:
From:
Greg Sorenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 1994 14:35:19 CST
bob hoffman writes:

 >Now, if that kid would have hit Joubert with something or thrown
>something at him that would have been a different story.  I am not an advocate
>of throwing stuff or intending to injure players.  However, a hockey game is
>not a ballet so fans have the right to scream, yell, and say what they want.

My interpretation of Quimby's original post was that the incident
occurred at the end of a period, if not the end of the game. "The
ballet" had ended, or was at least over for 15 minutes, so anything
said could not to be intended to distract a player *while playing a game*.

I don't condone Joubert's alleged action, nor the alleged insult. But I
do agree with other posts that fans need a dollop of common sense.
Giving fans "the right" to attempt to influence the game by shouts,
 insults, etc., IMHO, seems to be related (albeit very distantly) to
other attempts to influence an event, say, by parachuting into a boxing
 ring, running out onto a ball field, or stabbing a tennis player.

Remembering the dumb things I said and did when I was 11...and
the playground beatings I (deservedly) received,

GS