Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Jan 1994 08:14:00 PST
I know that we've already hammered this point out, but it obviously needs to
be mentioned again.

Bradley D Cuyler writes...
>I would hate to have to wait every other year just to see NMU get
>to play Wisconsin at Lakeview. I'm sure the fine Badger fans would feel
>the same way in Madison.

The "plan", albeit very tentative and currently open for discussion, has
every team playing at every other team each season.  You'll get to see
Wisconsin at Lakeview every season unless you only get tickets every other
year.  Likewise, NMU will invade Wisconsin each and every year.  However,
because NMU and UW would not be divisional opponents, their season series
would be only two games, with each team hosting one.

Furthermore...
>If this is true the WCHA is going to turn into a top heavy division where
regular >season play means absolutely nothing.

Again, the plan in debate was originated by Scott Roselius at UAF to foster
discussion regarding the possibility of UAF joining the WCHA.  Hopefully,
many more ideas will come forth now that the topic is on the table.

As for the regular season meaning nothing, I would disagree because the
regular season still determines the composition of the playoffs (who is in,
who plays where, etc.).  And there would be the new dimension of "divisional
champions."  I realize that many people consider this idea cheesy (no pun
intended), but it's there nonetheless.

>Central Region (Wisconsin, Minnesota St. Cloud and maybe Mankato State)

I don't have the details at hand, but my recollection is that Wisconsin,
Minnesota, North Dakota and Minnesota-Duluth would form one division and
continue playing each other four times per season.

>The main point in this argument is 24 points will be acquired by teams
playing >in their own region. Your lacking true competition like the WCHA
offers >currently.

Again, IMO, "true competition" doesn't mean that you have to play the team
four times a season.  Are you saying the entire ECAC is make believe because
it doesn't have "true competition?"

>If UAF joins the WCHA fine, change, slant, and format their schedule to
>accomodate the rest of the WCHA.

I think that's what the plan does.

  John H
  U Mich

P.S.  For those watching the UM-MSU game tonight on Prime, look for me.
 I'll be the guy holding up the 'give Smoke an assist' sign every time
Michigan State scores, which hopefully won't be very often.  :-)