Sender:
From:
"Steven J. Nieman Wisconsin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jan 1994 12:08:00 CST
Walt Olson writes ....

>My comment: BULLCRAP. They would be Captains if they couldn't
>perform leadership duties. Have you ever played on a NC$$ team?
>The coaches give Captains vital roles to play in addition to
>wearing that neat C and A on their uniforms. The Captains work
>for it and deserve it. But it also measns that they do have
>control on their team mates.
>
>My reply (for what it is worth: UW fans won't agree)
>
>The real problem is not whether the team practiced but what was the
>purpose or intent of the practice. The reason for team practices in
>a traditional sense is skill development and coordination. However,
>when a team practices solely after a lop-sided losing game, when the
>players are frustrated and tired, it is doubtful that the reason for the
>practice is skill development. Instead, (and I speak from experience,)
>the intent is solely retribution or punishment. It is not recreation,
>it is not team coordination, it is "skate until you drop," abuse and
>be abused for game transgressions. THIS IS WRONG: it does not help
>a team develop, play the next game better or help coordination. It
>does destroy the enjoyment of the game (albeit, a win helps the
>enjoyment tremendously,) and destorys the team cohesiveness.
>
>Get real: its wrong -- NC$$ drew the line with coaches because its
>wrong. It doesn't make it right if the coach allows a surrogate.
>UW's team crossed the line.

No Walt ... I have never played on an NCAA team.  Nor, have I ever claimed
that I have.  Is that a pre-requisite to offering an opinion to this list ?
Golly, maybe you should impose some sanctions on me or something.  There
should be a rule!  There really should!

I'm sure captains do earn and deserve the job.  I also suspect, although I
can't be certain because we all know I never played intercollegeate
athletics, that they are chosen because of their leadership skills, talents
and personalities.  I would hope that most coaches would not name the type of
kids that would do things to punish their fellow players as team Captains.
Earning the title Captain could and should involve displaying the correct
type of leadership skills.  And I still believe, although I'm sure you don't
agree, that it's quite possible that the Wisconsin Captains that called the
practice didn't do it for that reason.

If you did play something or other in the NCAA and as an underclassman had to
deal with Captains that dealt with things in a responsibility ... guilt ...
punishment sort of way, does that really make you an authority on what
happens everywhere else ???   It sure sounds like you think you are.

Steve Nieman
Cooperative Institute for Meteorological Satellite Studies
University of Wisconsin
1225 W. Dayton Street
Madison, WI 53706