Sender:
From:
Walter Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jan 1994 15:37:34 -0500
For those of the readers who seemed confused about the NC$$ consideration
of the Wisconsin after game practice, please understand that I am not
stating that the NC$$ necessarily deems what Wisconsin did after the
St. Cloud game illegal.

I don't believe in taking a scalpel to hairs: While NC$$ does not consider
it a practice unless the coach is present (I need to see the exact
rule book wording,) it  sure seems to me that if the team captain
runs the practice, it is a practice, none the less.

The reason for not practicing after a game is to avoid "punishment tours"
for the players. This is a good rule. Mass punishment went out with
World War II, I hope (although I occassionaly witnessed it during the
the years I served in the Army.) When a team captain runs a team
practice, which I doubt any player could forego,  after a losing game,
particularly one where the loss is 6-1, the purpose is probably
punishment whatever name you call the rose by. MY WAY of thinking is that
this is in fact illegal regardless of whether or not one wants to
quibble about coaches present or absent.

Walt Olson