Sender:
From:
"Craig C. Cheslog" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1993 14:54:33 EDT
Russell Jaslow writes:

> I see lots of people talking about cold rinks, and some of them claiming to
> have been to all (or most) Eastern rinks.  Well I've got to throw in 2 Div. 3
> rinks that people are missing.  (I don't think we should count outdoor rinks
> like UConn and Hobart -- that's kinda like breaking the 100 meter record with
> a massive tail wind.)
>
> Hamilton College -- I've only been there once, but that's plenty enough for
> me.  One of the oldest rinks in the country, and one of the coldest.  Trivia
> note -- this was the rink used for the hockey scenes in Love Story.

I agree that this is one of the coldest rinks on record, what with the broken
windows and everything, but Hamilton is spending $6 million to completely
renovate the rink in order to bring it up to standards. This might become one
of the nicer college rinks this season. (I just hope they keep the press box
where it is, since it is a great location to broadcast a game from!)

And, while we are on the subject, here is my vote for the coldest rink:

Lee Clement Arena, New England College -- This is basically an aluminum
structure surrounding the ice surface. Now, it didn't help that it was only
-10 degrees when we were there, but this place would be cold any day. A nice
touch though, they have a pseudo-skybox which is heated at one end of the rink
which season ticket holders can use.

Craig Cheslog
Bowdoin College Sports Information Intern