Sender:
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1993 12:20:47 -0500
> Does the following scenario remain true in the ECAC's (or NC$$)
> two game playoff series?
> Team A loses the first game.
> Game 2 is tied at the end of regulation.
> There is no sudden death overtime and the game stays tied.
> Team B with a win and a tie for 3 points advances...

This is no longer true, because the ECAC no longer has a two game QF.
Beginning this year, they go to best of three. Presumably, all games
will be played through overtimes until there is a winner.

Last year, the ECAC had a single game QF. Previous to that, the two
game + (yuck) minigame was the QF format, and it was as stated above.

I assume that the rule change was a direct and swift reaction to
Harvard's loss to RPI last season - the first time in the ECAC that
the #1 team lost in the quarterfinals since the multiple game QF was
first put in place back in (help me out here, somebody) the late
70's (?). Pretty funny, because the one game system was played up as
"adding excitement, because the underdog has a genuine chance to
win". Then, when somebody did, they took it away. Life is weird, but
predictably so.

Greg
Somerville, MA
Let's Go Red!