Sender:
From:
Daniel Orchard-Hays <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Jan 1993 01:05:02 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]> [log in to unmask] writes:
>As a sidenote, I think the position of "goal judge" is really not needed.
>His job is to determine: Did the puck cross the goal line or not?  With
>modern technology, this could be easily be handled by some sort of
>detection device.  If it's working in tennis, it can definitely work
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Unless I'm missing something obvious, how would you propose to do this?  ONe
could easily simulate the puck crossing the goal line by using the blade of
the hockey stick.  Like I said, maybe I'm missing something, Kenny.  But I seem
to think that perhaps this has already been thought of.  It would be sort of a
tough undertaking.  Don't forget all the collisions that take place at the
net, etc.  Though someone did suggest a special puck with some sort of sensor
that would be picked up when the puck crossed the goal line.  :-)

Daniel Orchard-Hays
RPI  '95

>in hockey.  It's the referee's job to determine HOW the puck entered the
>net, which obviously could never be handled by a device, unless Artificial
>Intelligence takes some great strides in the future.  Hey, then we could
>just let computers officiate games......  and I'd be out of a job.  -- kennyz
How sad!  Of course, I'd probably also be out of a job, right Kenny?  :-)