Sender:
From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Dec 1998 17:42:05 -0500
On Dec 18,  9:48, Edward N. Moller wrote:
>This leads to a pair of questions.  First, are the circumstances under which
>Decloe and Titanic were ruled ineligible still in force today.  If my memory
>serves me correctly, the violation was for accepting of stipends while playing
>in
>Junior A.  Such a stipend was not available to any player in Junior B.

I can't say whether the rules on this are exactly the same today as they were
in the '70s.  I believe the NCAA considers the major juniors to be a
professional league, and playing for a major junior team has serious or fatal
consequences on college eligibility.  I recall several instances in the past
(including at least one here at Evil Whistle Blower U.) in which a college
hockey player had previously suited up for a small number of games with a major
junior team and was forced to sit out one year plus that number of games the
following season.

>Secondly, what is the official score for a forfeit?  In baseball a forfeited
>game
>is scored 9-0, in football it's scored 1-0.  I always thought that in hockey
it
>was 3-0.

My understanding is that the official recorded score for a forfeited game is
1-0, though the player stats from that game (if it was actually played prior to
the forfeit) count.

--
Disclaimer -- Unless otherwise noted, all opinions expressed above are
              strictly those of:

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86 and '95                                             DJF  5/27/94
LET'S GO RED!!                                                  JCF  12/2/97
"This can't be right.  Terry Felton started the game, and now they've got him
 relieving himself on the mound."
-- Fred White, Kansas City Royals radio announcer, on a wire-service report
   that erroneously listed the same pitcher starting and coming in from the
   bullpen