Sender:
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 16:44:30 -0500
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
To: No Name Available <[log in to unmask]>
> East Commisioner Bertagna.  The poster seemed to feel that the commissioner
> had been pushing Chris Drury as the best choice for the Hobey Baker.  The
> poster felt that other players - specifically some from UNH - were ignored.
> A follow up post (I believe from Richard Hungerford) stated that Mr.
Wasn't me!  I wrote that I happen to like Mowers from UNH for the Hobey
Baker in my NC$$ preditions post.  The kid has warp 8.9!

> that it is not the commisioner job to be promoting one candidate over
I think if you are going to win the Hobey Baker or any major award, you do
need the powers that be working for you.  If you split your energy between
a group of players, it is not as effective.

There is an axis of power working behind the scenes here - OH NO!  And
there does seem to be a general push for one candidate.  I don't find that
unusual.  Many people would actually say that is what a commissioner
should do.  It is afterall, just an award.  It is an honor to me named in
the top ten.

As for pushing the Boston teams - yeah I think that's true.  But that's
'90's not-so-free-market mentality.  The big hype gets you the big bucks.
Many of us enjoy college hockey because it isn't the big hype.  It's just
good hockey.  However, whether you are picking the NC$$ pairings or giving
out awards, money comes first.

Money is the reason I think we'll see the 16 team field sooner.  I doubt
that will take away from the conference play and play-offs.  You still got
to do your thing at home first, otherwise you're not going to make it to
the big waltz.  8 or 16 teams works, but 12 doesn't - it is unfair.

OK enough of this gay banter!

/
 good shooting
 hungerf