Sender:
From:
Richard Hungerford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Mar 1998 08:53:11 -0500
Friday afternoon at Harvard's Bright Hockey Center in the US Nationals
first semifinal, the University of New Hampshire Wildcats beat the
Minnesota Golden Gophers 4-1.  It was not a great match as neither team
was on song.  In the end, UNH's superior skating and puck movement let
them advance to the final.

In the first, Brandy Fisher (Samantha Holmes) gave the Wildcats the lead
when Holmes circled the net and setup Fisher in the slot.  Minnesota
created some good scoring opportunities but was held off the scoreboard by
the steady New Hampshire defense.

During the second, UNH started to pass better and came up with some
interesting individual moves.  Kali Wilson (Kim Knox) made it 2-0 Wildcats
when she knocked home a rebound.  The Gophers were at sixes and sevens.

At start of the final interval, New Hampshire's Sara Cross went
end-to-end, deked her way in on goal and scored.  Minnesota came right
back to make it 3-1 when Ambria Thomas (Nadine Muzerall) drilled her shot
home.  The Wildcats were guilty of backing in on their own net.  The
finally tally was the best of the game.  UNH's fresher defender Winny
Brodt pulled off a brilliant individual effort when she weaved her way
through the Gophers, faked a pass and buried her try.  Lovely goal!

I had expect Minnesota to develop their skating in the two and half months
since I last saw them.  Instead I found them carrying their sticks and
elbows rather high.  I suppose the layoff hurt the Gophers.  Still, it was
not the style of hockey I associate with Minnesota.

New Hampshire did what they needed to do to win the game, but did not play
that well.  They had spells when their passing and stick handling looked
splendid.  Fisher was the team leader and took a lot of hits to make the
play.  She laid on some of the best passes of the afternoon.  Fisher won
the first Peppermint Patty Award on Friday as the outstanding women's
college ice hockey player.  She thoroughly deserved that honor.  Fresher
Michelle Thornton played a solid two-way game.  Melissa McKenzie made some
wonderful setup passes.  On defense, Nicki Luongo was a tower of strength
and carried the puck well.  The woman of the match was Brodt.  The native
of Minnesota used her excellent skill set with her team and the result was
some marvelous plays.  Brodt's goal was super, but some of her soft passes
were even better.  Overall, a good effort from the Wildcats.

/
 good shooting
 hungerf