Sender:
From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:54:23 -0700
        I don't suppose they're going announce a combination of the
ECAC men's and women's tournaments, like the one that occurred to me
over the holidays:

1pm Friday: Women's semifinal
4pm Friday: Men's 4/5 play-in game
7pm Friday: Women's semifinal

1pm Saturday: Men's semifinal (2/3 game)
4pm Saturday: Men's semifinal
7pm Saturday: Women's final

1pm Sunday: Men's consolation
4pm Sunday: Men's final

(well, it would entice more people to come for that 4/5 game), or the
ECAC wall calendar.  (Hey, 12 teams, 12 months....  I'd buy one.)

Jim Love:

>>  I have it on good authority that that's it - a Holiday Tournament in
>>New York City with two teams each from ECAC and HEA.  What a potential
>>disaster IMHO - hotel rooms now average $212 per night in NYC, and
>>there's no
>>history/tradition of college hockey anywhere near the city.  What can
>>Joe
>>Bertagna be thinking ??  This tournament won't draw flies ....

>Actually Jim, there is a tradition of college hockey in NYC.  From 1962
>or so through the late 1970's there was an ECAC holiday festival at
>Madison Squarte Garden.  It was there in 1972 that I saw my first
>Clarkson hockey game (we beat SLU in the cosolation.  St. Louis beat
>Notre Dame in the final).  There were 10,000 plus fans there.

>If you get the right 4 teams, you will pack the joint.  Alumni will come
>in droves.
>My picks for the 1st tourny are:
>Clarkson & Cornell from the ECAC   <- both schools have great alumni
>support.

        I'd tend to agree with Joe here, and it's not just alumni.
Over winter break, all the students will be home, and there will
probably be more Cornell undergrads in the NY Metro area than in
Ithaca.  I think we'll get a good indication of what such a tournament
would be like from this weekend's Cornell-Colgate game at the Nassau
Coliseum.  Anyone know how ticket sales for that are going?

        Oh, and as for hotel rooms, I'd either stay with friends (7
million people in the City, you've got to know *someone*) or find a
place in the suburbs and commute in like everybody else.  After all,
you don't want to bring a car to Manhattan anyway.

                                        John Whelan, Cornell '91
                <http://www.cc.utah.edu/~jtw16960/joe.html>

Cornell Men's Ice Hockey: Back-to-back ECAC and Ivy League Champions