Sender:
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 16:40:57 -0500
7bit
From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Greenie <[log in to unmask]>
On  Sun, 02 Nov 1997 09:49:24 -0700 Greenie wrote:

> Although I would agree with you that Corbett and Ryan always choose BU
> players as their stats, it is the "Terrier Hockey Network" or whatever the
> heck they call it, almost entirely financed by BU.
>
> Again, I'm not saying that they should be so obviously biased, but it's
> been clear for years that the broadcast is intended for BU fans -- almost
> all of the off-ice banter, anecdotes, and interviews involve BU, and the
> announcers are *significantly* more juiced whent the Terriers score.

I'm as  big a Terrier fan as they come, but I call 'em like I see 'em.  In the
discussion we've been having concerning the Globe, I'm sure that
Boston-centrism is a complaint for any out-of-town reader.  But that's the
Globe's job.  I suppose it's Bernie and Tom's job, too.  It doesn't mean I have
to like it.

> Also, would Brian Regan even have warranted a "fourth star" if it were
> offered? Most people told me that the entire third period was dominated by
> BU, although not too many shots on goal were made. Only 6 shots in fact,
> with 2 let in by Regan. Most likely these were goals were not his fault and
> may have been unstoppable, but allowing five goals makes it tough to award
> a star.

The fourth goal Regan had no chance.  An absolute bullet off the stick of
O'Connell.  The fifth goal was a bad one.  Regan should have stopped it.
That's what cost him a star in my book.  For the first two periods he was
simply outstanding and kept his team in the game.

> And on your list, why award the second star to O'Connell, when it was
> Sylvia's first goal that tied the game up in the first period second goal
> that turned out to be  (with under 2 minutes left), and his the game winner?

It could have gone either way.  Mike Sylvia's performance this year will be
vital to BU's success.  He was the least heralded of the three Catholic
Memorial stars to matriculate in 1994.  He has improved steadily throughout his
career, and is a major reason for Chris Drury's Hobey chances.  Albie O'Connell
is one of the fastest skaters on the team, and is carrying two freshmen on his
line.

> Which leads me to WROL's #3 star, Noble. He allowed only 2 goals after
> giving up one to Lovell less than a minute into the game. I'd call that
> some serious composure. And given the talent that people claim Lovell has,
> he kept Lovell's line to only two goals. I'd agree that he would be
> deserving of a star.

I came in late and missed the first goal, but heard it on the radio.  It was a
fluke goal.  The rest of the way Noble was solid.  He had no chance on the
second goal, as his team was down two men.  When we get to March, it will be
goaltending which determines who wins, just like it does every year.  Right now
BU has the best goaltending in the east.
--
Edward N. Moller
Controller