Sender:
Date:
Sun, 11 May 1997 00:21:13 -0400
8bit
From:
Tony Biscardi <[log in to unmask]>
Deron's point about Walsh developing defensemen indicates that
my claim that Walsh is "average" at developing talent at
positions other than goalie may be too harsh, but compared
to Wisconsin's and Maine's abilities to consistently develop
goalies and Parker's consistent ability to develop power-forwards,
Walsh, *as a rule*, does not stand out and make me say "wow" in
regards to his defensemen.  (Bob Johnson... now THERE'S a man
who could develop defensemen!)

Every school will have players that do better than expected while
others will have players not turn out as well as expected.

Maine, however, has consistently made goalies better than expected
and *extremely* rarely do any of them disapoint over the long
haul.

Part of Parker and Walsh's strengths though may come from the
fact that Walsh was himself a goalie while Parker was a forward
who specialized on shutting down the other team's better players.

From what I have been told, Walsh works a *LOT* at practice on
set plays, especially the power-play.

This approach will tend to help a team win with less talent.

From what I have seen, Parker works a *LOT* at practice on
skill development.

This approach will tend to help improve your team's talent
level.

Which one is better???

It all depends on what you like (outstanding passing vs great
individual plays) and who you are as a player (a player who is
going nowhere hockey-wise after graduation and wants to win on
this level vs a player who wants to develop for the pro's)

Former LSSU coach, Jeff Jackson, is a prime example of someone
who consistently won using a system that, although it does not
do much for developing individual skills, made his teams
*extremely* difficult to defeat.  (Jackson also instituted a
form of the "trap")

Are these oversimplifications???

Yes.

Parker does work on the power-play and communication.
Walsh does work on player development.

BUT, both have their focus and teandency which distinguishes
them as coaches of two different styles.

As far as Walsh getting offers in the AHL, it is not from
a great source, so I would be *extremely* interested in
hearing who really *was* after him.
What kind of offers did he get?
I mean this as serious curiosity.

See ya,

Tony

PS - One thing that the media has ignored is that both
Dave Poulin (Notre Dame) and Bruce Crowder (NU) had
previously been mentioned by the Bruins as possabilities
to replace fired coach Steve Kasper.  (Neither one has
been mentioned again in this new round)