Sender:
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 18:06:02 -0500
7bit
From:
Adam Wodon-Around the Rinks <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
> Here it is.  I am told that the committee said that Miami got the edge in
> the Miami-Cornell bracket because of the higher RPI.  In fact, Miami wins
> the head-to-head comparison with Cornell, 3-2, and also has the higher RPI.
> (I also note that in each of the four first round matchups, the team
> designated as the higher seed and thus the home team, also won the
> head-to-head comparison and had a higher RPI.)
>
> Looks like all questions are answered.  On to the games.

This was my ONLY question as well -- and it makes some sense.  It also jibes
with what was told to me by Joe Bertagna about what Joe Marsh said at the
coach's convention.  He said, essentially, that the head-to-head comparison
would decide seeding.  Actually, Bertagna thought that was true to decide the
12 teams, and that PWR would only be used to break close calls in the RPI --
but I told him that wasn't true.  However, it appears it is true in terms of
seedings, so perhaps that's what Marsh said, and Bertagna just misunderstood.

Case closed. Drop the puck.

Adam Wodon - AC Productions
Host: "Around the Rinks" - The only National College Hockey talk show
Listen 24 hours/day, 7 days/week at:
http://www.audionet.com/sports/shows/rinks/