Sender:
From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 1997 02:13:12 -0400
At 12:56 PM -0600 3/16/97, Eeyore wrote:
> I don't think that this is the format that the NCAA will come up with,
> but if it is, I would very strongly object as a Gopher fan.  Minnesota
> finished far ahead of Miami in the PWR rankings (4th vs. 10th).  I do
> not think that it would be at all proper to reward that by putting them
> up against a team that seems to be the overwhelming pick as the best in
> the country.  This draw pits the #1 and #4 seeds in the overall rankings
> in the quarterfinals.  If the NCAA puts that high a priority on avoiding
> conference match-ups, then something is wrong.

However, that is the way it is usually done and it has been this way for a
while.  There should be no surprise if this happens.

Jack Parker even referred to this in the postgame press conference.  He was
asked if he expected BU to meet UNH again next Saturday in Worcester and he
said no because of the committee's policy on avoiding conference matchups
in the regionals.

Mike Machnik                [log in to unmask]               *HMM* 11/13/93
*****   (Part-Time) Color Voice of Merrimack Hockey  WCAP 980 AM    *****