Sender:
From:
Charlie Shub <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 10:01:58 -0700
Comments:
> Date:         Mon, 24 Feb 1997 23:13:41 EST
> From: Frank Mazzocco <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject:      Kryway Update
>
> Our crew said 15 minutes later he was still on the stretcher waiting for an
> ambulance. Good thing they didn't have to call him a cab -- or perhaps they
> should have! (Please pardon the editorial. But really, 15 minutes?)
>
> Frank Mazzocco
> Midwest Sports Channel
> US College Hockey Online

Frank:
It was good to see you again and to meet your daughter.  Hope to see
you in Milwaukee

Not to defend the delay or anything, but here's some additional
information:

1) my understanding is that the Air Force REQUIRES a commercial
   ambulance service to be on site during all Colorado College
   games.  Given that, there is an obvious set of tradeoffs
   a) send the injured person to the hospital and delay the game until
      a substitute ambulance arrives
   b) delay the transport until a substitute ambulance arrives
   c) transport in a private vehicle.

   Presumably the attending doctor made the decision that the injury
   was not so serious as to require high speed emergency transport.

2) I'm much more of a rural person than most, and I find the 15
   minutes not at all unreasonable.  A cab would have taken at least
   half an hour to get there, or so say the cadets we have sponsored.
   The air force academy is in a rural area.  It is over 10 miles from
   the south entrance gate of the academy to the field house.  The
   north gate is closer (4 miles or so) but the nearest town to the
   north gate is two exits north (5 miles or so)  Thus we have a
   travel distance of at least 10 miles from the closest town, and
   presumably there is no ambulance sitting at the edge of town just
   waiting to go to the academy on a "non-emergency" basis.

      charlie shub   University of Colorado at Colorado Springs
[log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]  -or-  [log in to unmask]
                    http://www.cs.uccs.edu/~cdash
            (719) 262-3492               (fax) 262-3369