Sender:
From:
Jim Love <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1997 12:27:26 -0500
To: Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Hi -

On Sat, 18 Jan 1997, Carol S White wrote:
> During the game, which we watched on TV, I speculated the reasons why Rass
> would have gotten suspended ...
> Rasmussen added a course to his second-term schedule last week but did
> not enter it into the university's computer system until Monday, which
> meant he was a part-time student -- and therefore ineligible --- during
> last weekend's series against Denver.

  Am I to understand from this that he participated in the Denver series
while ineligible IN THE EYES OF THE NC$$ ??  Does this mean that UMinn-TC
must forfeit these games to Denver, since UMinn-TC played an ineligible
player ??  Whether Woog knew Rasmussen was ineligible, but played him
anyway (unlikely; I hope everyone's learned from l'affair Walsh) or not
shouldn't matter; isn't the NC$$ rule rather clear on the penalty for use
of an ineligible player ??

> "The University imposed the two-game suspension after notifying the NCAA,
> which told Gophers athletic officials that Rasmussen would have to sit
> out the series to regain his eligibility."

  To *REGAIN* his eligibility ?!?!  Does this mean the NC$$ acknowledges
that Rasmussen was ineligible for the Denver series, yet sitting out the
St. Cloud series somehow excuses him for having played illegally the week
before vs. Denver ??  Now I'm really confused ....

> I will only add, that it is extremely easy to drop and add classes...we
> have student self-registration, online and on the WWW! Any student can
> update his registration on-campus, or at home with a computer.

  It's easy to speed on the interstates too.  Does that mean I should be
excused if a trooper catches me 20 mph over the posted limit ??

  Concerned in Solomons - Jim