Sender:
From:
Kirk the Eisenbeis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 1997 07:57:06 -0600
On Wed, 15 Jan 1997, Gerald Williams wrote:

> During the Michigan - Ferris Game the goaltender was given a delay
> of game penalty for covering the puck.  The puck was approx. 8 feet outside
> the crease when he covered it.
>
> Is this illegal, I thought the goalie could cover the puck and stop play
> anywhere he wanted. I've been shaking my head on this one ever since.
>
> Any clarification would be great.  Jerry,

What probably happened was the goalie was outside of his priviliged
area.  This is a rectangle extending from the face-off dots, straight
back to the boards behind the net.  If the goalie covers the puck outside
of this rectangle, he gets a minor for delay og game.

This happened in our exhibition game with Alberta--due to the lengthy
explaination to the coaches & players, I got the impression that this is
not a common rule, but it's in the NCAA.

Kirk