Sender:
From:
Bababooey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Oct 1996 12:23:55 -0500
I just received this from a friend, so I thought I would pass it on to
the list.

>From Tuesday's Hearld:

[corny stuff about Toby losing sleep the last 2 weeks, and other useless
stuff removed]

  Kvalevog was informed Monday afternoon that he is indeed eligible to play
his final season of hockey at UND after questions regarding his
eligibility surfaced last week.

  Kvalevog's eligibility came into question when it appeared that he didn't
have enough credits in his major field--physical education--to gain
admittance into UND's College of Education and Human Development.

  In order to be eligible under NCAA rules, an athlete with at least two
years of college completed must have both declared a major field of
study, and be accepted into a degree-granting porgram, as the College of
Education and Human Development is.

  "They said they had miscalculated my credits, that I do have enough
credits in my major already," Kvalevog said.  His grade point was never
in question, Kvalevog carrying a 2.62 cumulative.

  Kvalevog, who has started 96of UND's 115 games over the past three
seasons, was expected to battle sophs Travis Pavlat and Aaron Vickar and
fresh Aaron Schweitzer for the No. 1 goaltending spot.  Kvalevog's
inconsistent play was one reason why UND coach Dean Blais said the No. 1
goaltending position was up for grabs.

-------
Kirk's thoughts:  (not mine!!)
OK, who else thinks "They said they had miscalculated my credits, that I
do have enough credits in my major already" is fishy?

Other things from the college hockey notebook:

Colorado College, which won an uprecedented 3rd straight WCHA championship
last season, is the pick of the coaches to win for the first time in
history.  The honor is nice, but CC coach Don Lucia says the Tigers won't
be as good as a ywar ago when they went 26-2-4.  "We did the unheard of
by getting 56 points," Lucia said.  "This year we'll be back in the
40s."  CC openedthe season Friday, losing 5-3 to the U of Calgary.
"We're not a great team right now.  We have a long, long way to go."

CC will get an early test--they play at UM this weekend.

-------
MY thoughts:

Kvalevog will get a huge test this weekend as UND plays DU in Grand
Forks.  WOW!  Could why couldn't UND get a harder team to face right off
the bat?  ;-)  The next two games should also give a better indication of
what kind of year UND can expect to have since the only game so far was a
1-2 loss to Alberta.
                                                        charles
-
http://www.aero.und/~cbell/hockey.htm