Sender:
From:
Michael Smar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Aug 1996 10:00:55 CST
** Reply to note from Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]> 08/01/96 02:07am -0400
> Bear with me. :-)  In those years that Maine has fewer scholarships to
> offer, the SAs that Maine would have signed will in all likelihood receive
> and accept offers from other schools instead, because Maine is able to
> recruit SAs of a high enough caliber that other schools usually want them
> too.
>
> Let's say one of those SAs winds up at Merrimack.  (I choose Merrimack so
> no one thinks I am picking on their school; this could happen almost
> anywhere.)
>
> Let's also say that one of the other SAs Merrimack recruited and would have
> made an offer to, is not as highly regarded by other schools and does not
> receive any other offers.  When Merrimack makes out its list of who to
> extend offers to, this SA is the "odd man out"; if they have five to offer,
> he is number six.  All of the top five accept and number six winds up with
> no offers.

Oh, please! This happens every day. It's called life. Ever not get a job somewhere
because the applicant ahead of you was better qualified? Was it another company's
fault that you didn't get the job you wanted because they didn't hire the other
applicant? I think not.

This is really a silly arguement for allowing Maine to keep it's scholarships.

Mike Smar ([log in to unmask])