Sender:
From:
"J. Michael Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 1996 14:34:00 -0400
As someone on the list pointed out, the term "Redskin" is very derogatory.
 This isn't the whole problem, though.  There is not a good comparison
between most schools with Indian nicknames and, say, the Notre Dame Fighting
Irish or (the example around here) the Minnesota Vikings.  These teams names
are adopted by groups with significant representation of the ethnic group
involved and are used to celebrate their own history.

It is entirely different for a culture (in this case, the majority culture of
the U.S.) to appropriate the symbols of a society that spent several
centuries trying to subjugate and using these symbols for its own ends.
 Though intangible, this is an example of imperialism at its worst.  (Thus,
to address a different objection often brought up, it is okay for
predominantly Indian high schools to use Indian nicknames,)  That a given
nickname might have a long tradition at a school does not change the fact
that it was wrong to use it in the first place and should be dropped now.

I'm not entirely familiar with the situation at Miami.  The fact that they
got approval from the tribe is certainly a mitigating factor.  I would say
that it brings up more subtle points on whether and how tribes can change
their minds on withdrawing support and the effects this should have.  I would
be undecided on this issue if the specific nickname in question wasn't so
offensive.

J. Michael Neal