Sender:
From:
Arthur Berman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jun 1996 06:20:10 -0600
To: D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
On Sun, 23 Jun 1996, D B Doucette wrote:

> As I wondered in an earlier post, does UML have access to a pool of funds
> generated by the other UMass system members to allow for Lowell to offer
> big $$$ to a new coach ?  I mean, Calipari is gone, he being the
> highest-paid employee of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts at one time.  I
> hope that UML does not degenerate into a coaching-clinic arrangement of a
> parade of short-term coaches who use the place as a stepping-stone into
> other jobs.

I think it it probably an incorrect assumption that funds would be
transferred from basketball to hockey, let alone from Amherst to Lowell.
It is a fact of life that UMass Amherst's success in roundball brought
the U much more money than a national championship in hockey could have.
Their name is also exponentially better known than any success in hockey
could bring.  Not a pleasant thought, but reality I think.

Arthur Berman [log in to unmask]
GO BU!!! GO ICE!!!