Sender:
From:
"Steven M. Bernhardt" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 1996 07:59:15 -0400
Gopher Puckheads:

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!  NO WAY!

Newspaper headlines and radio sports chat regarding Toby Peterson's
decision to go to CC instead of Minnesota is interesting, but definately
not the declaration of the end of the Gopher hockey program.  Toby is a
nice player, but considering the superior level of next years Gopher
recruiting class, I'm not to concerned.

Now, if Ben Clymer or Dave Spehar would have gone elsewhere I would have
FREAKED OUT!  We don't know all of the reasons behind Toby's decision, but
I assume that there were circumstances far beyond the Gopher hockey program
that came into play (e.g., where his brother was going to play, the size
differences in the schools, less pressure not playing in front of the home
folks, the beauty of Colorado Springs, etc.).  I only hope the Gophers
didn't lose him because Woog only had partial scholarships available and CC
was willing to float the entire tab.  If it is, then Woog's desire to carry
a team of 28-29 players by dividing-up 18 full-rides may be back firing on
him.

So now that Toby is off to CC, the Gophers need to set their sights on
Westrum (Apple Valley) and Miscovich (Grand Rapids) as two of their top
recruits for 1997.

Steven M. Bernhardt
Post-Bacc Business & Marketing Education
University of Minnesota

Golden Gopher Hockey
"Minnesota's Pride on Ice"