Sender:
From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 16:53:45 -0500
Now, I must say that I am impressed by how much support the ECAC
teams have on the "net". I'm just trying to make a case for considerations
that should be taken under advisement when the NCAA seedings are
made. Of course, all this is mute until we've eclipsed the respective
league playoffs and find out just who's going to "The Show".

Basically, Hockey East's teams should clearly recieve more respect for
their records than the ECAC's teams.

Case in point for this particular post: SPANKINGS!

Lowell 10, Colgate 5 (Lowell gets break from tough HE schedule)
BU 7, Cornell 1     (HE power against ECAC contender)
B.C. 10, St. Law 4 (HE's old power regains form against ECAC power)
BU 7, St. Law 1   (HE power vs. ECAC leader)
Maine 5, St. Law 0 (HE gets hat trick spanking over St. Lawrence)
BU 8, Dartmouth 3 (HE power reveals muscle again )
BU 10, Princeton 2 (We've get to play BU at least 3 times each)
UMass 6, RPI 1 (HE's 8th place vs. ECAC's 8th)
Lowell 8, Yale 4 (Clean-up time)

Cornell did spank HE's cellar-dwellar UMass 8-1. But you have to look
long and hard for another convincing win by an ECAC team. In fact, the
best I could find was Vermont 7, UNH 4.  Hockey East had four other
four-goal victories not mentioned above. ECAC's pride this year when it
came to matching up against Hockey East was Clarkson, who admittedly
did a fine job in posting a 4-0-1 record against the elite of Hockey East
(minus Lowell). But, Clarkson won three games by just a goal and the
fourth was by two goals. Vermont was 3-2-1 vs. HE (1-2 vs. the elite)
and 5 of those 6 games were decided by a goal or less.

So, let's look long and hard at giving BC or Providence a shot before we
look at Cornell, Colgate or even St. Lawrence. Furthermore, let's seed
Lowell appropiately. They were 6-1 vs. ECAC including 34 goals in their
six wins. ( The loss was to Vermont, 2-1 )

Now, realistically, this is all irrelevant because these points are looked at
in tourney selections. Furthermore, a case could be made for the fact
that ECAC teams don't play as hard during non-conference games, but I
really don't believe it ... and if its true, maybe they should put that league
in Div. 2 and let them play themselves for a National Champion. Just
kidding!!! ;) ;) ;)

I just wish we had more of a chance to spank WCHA and CCHA teams.

;)