Sender:
From:
John Haeussler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 17:23:00 EST
Life is hectic, so I only have time to chip in a few notes
from Michigan's past two weekends:

(A) In the 13-0 win over Miami last Saturday, Michigan went
4-for-4 on their power play and 3-for-4 on Miami's.

(B) In the 10-3 win over Ferris State last Friday, Michigan
killed off two major penalties.  During the second five-minute
major, UM outscored FSU, 2-0.

(C) I'm not going to be able to post the CCHA stats in the immediate
future, but Western Michigan's Jeremy Brown (34 overall points)
and Alaska Fairbank's Cody Bowtell (27 CCHA points) are
the scoring leaders.  Michigan's Brendan Morrison has recorded
13-20--33 in 14 overall games and 9-15--24 in 10 CCHA games.

(D) Michigan backup netminder Gregg Malicke suffered a knee
injury in the FSU game (hopefully not too serious).  Greg Daddario,
a freshman walk on from Loomis-Chaffee, was suited up as the
"emergency" netminder to backup Marty Turco the following night
and made his collegiate debut playing the final 5:49 versus Miami.

(E) It was great to see Michigan State sophomore defenseman
Jon Gaskins back in the lineup during the GLI.  Jon suffered a
serious knee injury in the second half of last season, looked to
be ready to return this Fall, then learned that he had blood clots
in his lungs.  The GLI marked his first appearance of the season.
He looked rusty -- Morrison out-anticipated him, resulting in UM's
final goal in the championship game -- but Gaskins should play
himself back to form in time for the playoff grind.

(F) Speaking of the Spartans, has anyone else noticed that their
decrease in goals allowed is directly attributable to a decrease
in shots allowed (about 6 less per game) from last season.  I
don't want to belittle (some pun intended) netminder Chad Alban,
but he's been drawing plenty of raves even though his save
percentage is less than that posted by Mike Buzak a year ago.
How about giving some credit to the MSU defense.  They're only
going to get tougher with a healthy Gaskins.

And, one item to add to the great games list which I haven't
seen mentioned...nor do I expect to see mentioned since my
guess is that not more than 2 or 3 Hockey-Lers were in attendance.
Merrimack at Western Michigan, October 1992 (I *think*).  WMU
held a 4-1 third period lead...which sent many people to the
exits, and Lawson was barely half-full to begin with.  MC came
back to win, 5-4, thrilling a small but vocal contingent of Warrior
supporters.  Sure, it didn't have the same importance as an
NCAA OT game, but it was damn exciting.

And, one in which I certainly wasn't in attendance.  Michigan 8,
Dartmouth 4.  March 1948.  The first championship game in this
beautiful spectacle we know as the NCAA tournament.  Thankfully,
there was enough interest to continue the event on an annual
basis.

John H (U Mich) [log in to unmask]