Sender:
From:
"Kenneth W. Johnson, Laura U. Nowack" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Dec 1995 21:03:58 +0100
>I assume that I'm not the only one on this list that never actually learned
>to play hockey; if I am, than maybe someone would help me out anyway...
>does anyone have a good suggestion for where to get a basic primer on
>hockey >tactics...Any suggestions anyone?
>
>J. Michael Jackson

I'll post this to the list in case anyone else is interested.  When I
started playing hockey 1+ years ago, I was looking for the same thing.
Spalding's "Coaching Hockey" by Walford and Walford (Masters Press) is a
pretty good start.  About 2/3 of the book is about coaching players
(leadership, injuries, etc.).  The other 1/3 is about strategies, with
pretty good diagrams.  I found my copy at a Barnes & Noble in the
Springfield, MA area.  I've seen it elsewhere also.

Why not try playing hockey?  To really appreciate any sport, I am convinced
that you have to play it.  There are a number of hockey leagues that accept
beginner players (who can skate fairly well but have never played) and have
entire beginner leagues.

-Ken Johnson