Sender:
From:
STEPHEN HENDRICKSON <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Apr 1995 23:24:51 EST
I don't understand why it has been decided that referees will not call
penalties in overtime so that a penalty decides the game instead of the
players.  To me, not calling penalties is like calling a penalty when
there wasn't one.  The refs are deciding the game by not calling the
penalties.  This was very obvious in the Michigan-Maine game last
Thursday.  There were many obvious fouls in the two+ overtime periods.
The ESPN announcers talked about it a little but then they seemed to
drop it.  I am interested to know what others think.  Should they refs
not call anything in OT?  You can't argue that in the ref's opinion they
were fouls because many of them were obvious.
I thought it was a really great game, but I wish the ref hadn't let
things go the way he had because once the players think that he isn't
going to call anything they play even rougher.
Just adding my two cents.

--=STEPHEN HENDRICKSON=--