Sender:
From:
John Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 1995 04:50:11 -0500
Arthur Berman wrote:
>On Wed, 29 Mar 1995, Nanette Fladung EXt 6657 wrote:
>
>> ?MAYBE? that is true for Canadian Junior Hockey, but not for the USHL.
>> Most of our kids play junior hockey as a stepping stone to college hockey.
>> While the game schedule is heavier, these kids still have jobs, go to school
>> (High school or the local college) and plan on college.
>> This year we have (at least) ten kids going on to college.  Many of the others
>> will return to play one more year.  Junior Hockey gives them time mature and is
>> very high profile so that they are more likely to get a scholarship at a good
>> college.
>>
>You are confusing Junior B with Junior A.  The leagues I'm refering to
>are the Western Hockey League, the Ontario Hockey League, and the Quebec
>Major Junior League.  If you play in these leagues you lose your
>eligibility to play US college hockey.

No, Arthur. Nan was right when talking about Junior A hockey. There seems
to be some confusion as to the levels of Junior hockey. Hopefully, I will
be able to clear it up.

The Western Hockey League, Ontario Hockey League and QMJHL are Major Junior
hockey, not Junior A hockey. Their umbrella organization is the Canadian
Hockey League (the CHL). Major Junior teams compete for the Memorial Cup.
If a player plays as one game for a Major Junior team, he is considered to
be a professional by the NC$$.

Junior A is the level below that. A player playing here, or at any level
below, keeps his NC$$ eligibility. The Central Junior Hockey League (the
one I'm involved in) is Junior A, as is the Alberta JHL, and the USHL
(what Nan follows). Junior A teams in Canada compete for the Centennial
Cup. I'm not sure what they call the U.S. national championship (Nan?)
Canadian Junior A is incorrectly called "Tier II". I haven't been in
hockey long enough to quite know why. :-)

Junior B is the level below that. Very few NC$$ players or Major Junior
players come from there (except for Southwestern Ontario, because there
is no Jr. A hockey there). There is the Eastern Ontario Jr. B league, the
Pacific Int'l League and South Island League in B.C., and the Heritage
League in Alberta, among many others. There is no national championship
for Jr. B, although there are some cross-league competitions.

Sorry to barge in here, but this is one of my pet peeves. Thank you all
for listening, and we now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion
on the relative merits of sieves and things that suck.

See you later,
John

--
John C.K. Edwards        Stats Geek, Ottawa Jr Senators (26-25-3 59pts) (CJHL)
Carleton U., Law IV                   I don't give a damn about being liked,