Sender:
From:
"Ralph C. St.John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 1995 22:33:18 -0500
        As a grad student at Wisconsin from '68 to '73, when the ' sieve'
chant seems to have originated, I purchased a t-shirt (in '73) from the local
coca-cola distributer which had a very fat goalie on the front, carrying a
goal stick full of holes, the word sieve in big red block letters above the
goalie. I just dragged that t-shirt out of the closet...the goalie is a
visiting goalie, very ugly, and the letters on the front of the jersey
are intentionally blurred ( but I could swear that one of the letters is
an M, and the jersey is pretty faded, but it may have been brownish :-) ).
        We started attending games at UW in '68, in an old municipal rink
called Overmeyer  (I'm not positive about the name, but I think that's
close). Bob Johnson was still building the team then , and they weren't
too good. That first year we did not have the sieve cheer, so maybe
that's why we weren't too impressive. The next year we moved to "The
Great Dane". To the best of my recollection, that's the year the sieve
cheer started at Wisconsin. Of course, by 1973 we were playing for and
winning the NC$$ title (That's the year my wife learned that pulling the
goalie with 60 seconds to go DOES work as we scored to tie the game with seconds to
go..this may have been in semis??)

        Thanks for bringing this up. It brings back some great memories,
and my wife helped me find that great t-shirt I thought she had thrown out.

        BTW, my favorite all-time cheer was when Notre Dame was in the
WCHA and visiting Madison. We would yell "ND recruits in Alabama".

        HOLZINGER FOR HOBIE