Sender:
From:
"Michael C. Blanchard Wisconsin Badgers" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 1995 02:08:33 -0500
Well the last time I read an attack on my school and our traditions I
responded with a hasty and vitriolic attack. I hope to be more considerate
this time.
Here's an anecdote about Wisconsin and the "Sieve" that I hope shows the
lighter side.
In late1983 the U.S. Olympic team was touring and playing many college hockey
teams to prepare for the winter games.
Former Wisconsin goalie Marc Behrend was a goalie with the Olympic team. He
was in net for the game against the Badgers at the Dane County Coliseum.
Wisconsin scored a goal (Marc had helped us win two national titles)...there
was a brief pause... then the band struck up the sieve and we sieved the hell
out of him. There wasn't anyone who didn't enjoy it, including Behrend who
saluted the crowd. Both teams were laughing.
Some things are just plain fun.
For those of us who like the chant, no amount of unsolicited advice is going
to change our enjoyment of it.
For those of you who don't care for it...
Who cares! So What! Big Deal!

I hope all visitors to Madison enjoy the great hockey that will be played
there this weekend.

On, Wisconsin
Mike Blanchard

Proud to be RED