Sender:
From:
"Robert H. Gross" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 1995 18:57:13 EST
--- You wrote:
>And though they didn't make the playoffs - I wonder if Dartmouth would have
>won those last two games without the inspiration of trying for a playoff
>game.
--- end of quoted material ---
I need to say that many of the folks at Dartmouth, including the coaches, knew
that no matter what Dartmouth did on Saturday night against Princeton, they
would not be in the playoffs. Saturday night was for pride and to let the
graduating seniors show real leadership.

As was mentioned elsewwhere, 9 of Dartmouth's ten goals this final weekend were
scored by seniors playing their last games. Hopefully this effort and a first
class leadership both on the ice and off the ice will be an inspiration for
next year's team. I'd also like to congratulate Dion DelMonte, one of the
senior co-captains for finishing his career with 108 points (in 108 games).
While this might not seem like a major accomplishment, note that in the last
four years, Dartmouth did not have a very successful record - not even making
the playoffs in 3 of these 4 years. Goal scoring has not been one of our
strengths.

I too think that the ECAC playoff scheme is preferable and would even suggest
that perhpas the winner of the regular season should get an automatic bid to
the NCAA finals AND should get a "bye" for the whole tournament. Teams 2-9
should compete for the other playoff spot.

Best of luck to all the teams entering the playoffs. We'll be there with you
next year - really!

Bob Gross