Sender:
From:
Geoff Howell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 1995 09:35:06 -0400
Rick McAdoo writes:

"I have heard many different numbers regarding how many scholarships BC has
to offer in the next year or two, ranging from 0 to 2 to 4 to 5 to 7 ...
The athletic department has not released any definitive data on this, and
no one has offered any reliable source of info, so I have to take all of
it with a grain of salt.  If they have few scholarships, I hope they can
use them wisely.  The implication in Geoff's numbers is that over half
the juniors and seniors on this year's team are walk-ons rather than
scholarship players.  It seems unlikely.  But I am confused about something
here; how many scholarships do Div I teams get?  I thought it was around
18, or maybe a little less in recent NCAA cutbacks.  Most teams dress 21
players and have anywhere from 25 to 30+ on their rosters.  Does this mean
that many of the players on any roster are non-scholarship?  Or do teams
split them into half-scholarships to spread them more?  Are there any
Div I experts out there who deal with this on a daily basis who could
enlighten me?  It would be appreciated."

The Division I limit is still 18 full scholarships and, yes, they can
be divied up into partial scholarships - I don't know the logistics,
exactly. Don't forget about regular need-based financial aid as well.

As for B.C., there are 7 seniors (Canavan, LaFerriere, Haggerty, Buckley,
Singewald, Krayer, McCarthy), 5 juniors (Ashe, Hymovitz, Chase, McHale,
G. Callahan), 7 sophomores (Calson, Harney, Harris, D.Wainright, G.Taylor,
B. Callahan, Masters) and 4 freshmen (Hemenway, O'Leary, Lewis, Correia)
who are currently on the varsity. I'm not sure about the status of
sophomores R.Taylor and S.Haig, but we'll discount them for the moment;
total is 23 players.

The Oct. 27 Boston Globe reported that B.C. would lose 12 players in
the next two years and recoup only 4 scholarships. The June 16 Boston
Globe reported A.D. Chet Gladchuk as saying that there were 'no
scholarships available' as of the spring and other sources claimed
that there were no scholarships for the incoming class (of current
freshmen). The Globe also reported that sophomore Greg Hampton, who
is not on the team, is having his partial scholarship honored by the
school.

I've been told that Haggerty, Ashe and Hymovitz were all given full
scholarships when they arrived at B.C. LaFerriere and Buckley received
partials. That leaves seven juniors and seniors who may be limited
to financial aid and could account for the 4-for-12 stats in the Globe.

B.C. should come up with another scholarship if Mike Correia heads to
the USJHL next year, as I've heard he may do. That still leaves the
Eagles in pretty dire straights - recruits Marty Reasoner and Andy
Powers are certainly scholarship players, so not much scholarship
money is left.

Compare B.U. -26 players on the roster. We know Mike Grier was
a walk-on and just started receiveing scholarship money this year.
Taking into account partial scholarships, there are probably 20-21 players
getting money from the school - the other 5-6 likely getting need-based
aid, if necessary. Goalie Shawn Ferullo, forwards Matt Wright,
 Peter Donatelli, and John Hynes, and defenseman Doug Wood are
 all pretty likely candidates for need-based aid (although
 Wood may have earned a scholarship since arriving at BU). If you don't
mismanage your personnel, if you keep your promises to players and if you
don't spread your scholarships too thin through a bunch of partials,
it is obviously possible to maintain some continuity.

Geoff Howell
Drop the Puck
The Trenton Times