Sender:
From:
Sean Pickett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Feb 1995 06:43:26 -0500
>This brings up a question, however. How many teams that have made it to the
>Phinal Phour with freshman goalies? I'm not guaranteeing that Clarkson will
>make it, though. I keep asking myself (after each Clarkson win and good night
>for Murphy) how far can a team go with a freshman/rookie goalie?

Boson University made it to Detroit before losing to Colgate, 3-2, in the
semifinals, in 1990.  The Terriers made it on the strength of Scott Cashman,
a freshamn goaltender.  Cashman came in and after alternating with junior
goaltender John Bradley for the first six games he took over and started in
all but two of BU's remaining games.

BU went 25-17-2 and defeated Michigan State at Munn in the best of three
NCAA quarterfinals to make it to Detroit.  Scott Cashman was 23-14-1 and set
a new BU single season save record with 1027 for the season.  He lead all
Hockey East goalies in wins (11), games played (19), minutes (1129) and
saves (516).  He was fourth in save percentage (.904) and GAA (3.00) and he
was named the Hockey East Rookie of the week three times. He also became the
first Terrier freshman to get a shutout in almost ten years (just 21 days
shy of ten years).

Sean Pickett
Go BU Terriers, 1994 Hockey East Champions!
BU Hockey Page:  http://www.tiac.net/users/spickett/hockey.html