Sender:
From:
Christopher Anthony Solari <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Feb 1995 10:17:04 -0500
Well, this is my opinion of the Michigan State team this season.

First off, the fans at MSU are really knowledgeable hockey fans who like to see
a good game. But it is this fact that i think makes them want to watch the game
more than cheer. Munn Arena can become the deadest place in the CCHA when State
falls behind a goal, or if the opposing team is playing well. Prime example,
last weekends game against U-Mich. We were up 3-2, took a penalty, U-M scores,
crowd dies. THen 3rd pd comes around, U-M goes ahead and the crowd goes out the
door. They knew it wasnt the kind of hockey this team is capable of.

And it is not that they are not a good, fundamentally sound team. MSU, like
coach MAson said, relies more on talent than hard work. If they begin to pick
their work habits up down the stretch, clog up the middle on defense, and at
leats attempt to execute on offense, they will contend for the playoff crown.
But, these are all factors taht, as they say, MSU will control their own
destiny. U-M looks like a precision machine, and they are much better than BG
(who scored two fluke goals in the last game against MSU, the first one at BG
they beat us hands down). If MSU comes out of this weekend against Miami OH
with 4 points, they have a legitimate shot at 2nd place. But 3 or less points,
i feel they will be looking at 3rd place. But remember what Lake State did out
of their spot last season...

As for Holzinger, no one else is on their game like him. I think he is, right
now, the best candidate for the Hobey Baker in the CCHA. BUT, and this is a big
key, I think the only way he will win it iss if the Falcons either take over
first place or solidly remain in 2nd. IF they slip in the standings, the award
will go to a player in another conference. I don't thikn Anson Crter , even
though he leads the country in SHG's and is at the tops in PPG and total goals,
has played consistently all season, and neither has Guolla. Buzak, well, it
hurts him to have so many young defensemen (2 freshmen, 2 sophs) in front of
him. He IS taking too many shots on goal, thus his not too impressive Goals
against average. But his save pctg is the tell-tale factor. He is doing his job
in the net to keep the Spartans close.

Rookie of the year is definitely Marty Turco. Hands down, he is the reason U-M
is doing as well as they are. Everyone knew they would have a high-powered
offense this year, but the only question was in net. I think Turco erased any
doubters and doubts with his performance.

And Clarke is doing a tremendous job in net, the best in the league right now.
If he keeps his pace up, I think BG could end up winning at least a few games
in the playoffs, perhaps teh whole she-bang.

CHris SOlari