Sender:
From:
Karen Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Feb 1995 16:59:41 -0500
Bri Farenell comments that besides the Capital District, the only metro areas
where college hockey is #1 are Minneapolis-St. Paul and (sort of) Milwaukee.
 Leaving aside the fact that last year when we  were in Albany that Siena's
trip to the NIT was bigger news than the NCAA regionals, how can one write on
this subject without mentioning Boston?  Four Division 1 teams playing within
the city limits of Boston and constant sellouts of the Beanpot tournament
would seem to be evidence enough.  I would say Boston is #1, not the
imposters mentioned.  As a qualifier, remember that pro sports will always
get more ink than college when competing head-to-head.

In a related point, Sean Pickett notes that there are more Mass players in
the NHL than from Minnesota.  Could we perhaps interpret those statistics to
mean (Minnesota fans) that if there was only one Division 1 team in greater
Boston, and not 7 within 1 hour of the city, that it could easily recruit all
its players from one state as well ( and do OK)?

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
Go Blue!!