Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 May 1994 05:24:10 -0400
The Draft Preview issue of The Hockey News repeats the NHL Central
Scouting Bureau's rankings of draft-eligible hockey players that was in
the previous issue.  This time statistics are included.  The following
are the stats of the three listed players who have been recruited by
RPI.

61. Doug Battaglia LW, Brockville (EOHL) 6-0 185
    47 games, 35 goals, 39 assists, 74 points, 212 penalty minutes

I guess that RPI feels that besides for size they also need someone to
fill the penalty box.   Perhaps that is the reason that John Edwards
doesn't remember him--Battaglia was always in the penalty box.  :-)

235. Eric Healey LW, Classics (EJHL) 6-0 180
    62 games, 70 goals, 61 assists, 131 points, PM not available

Someone recently listed the teams in the EJHL on Hockey-L.  I note that
players from this league are listed as variably playing in the EJHL,
the NEJHL, and U.S. Jr. B.  I assume that this is just inconsistancy in
THN.  At least it isn't as bad as mixing up Kent State and the Kent
School.

12. Bryan Masotta G, Hotchkiss (USHS) 6-2 195
    18 games, 856 min, 28 GA, 2.01 GAA, SV% not available

Masotta's GAA was the best among the 26 goalies listed, but a question
is how good was his competition.

Neither of the two defensemen recruited by RPI are ranked by the
Central Scouting Bureau.  I don't know if this is because they are not
eligible or because they are not among the top 260 prospects.

I wonder why the Central Scouting Bureau lists goalies and European
players separately from US-Canadian forwards and defensemen.
Considering that they have intermingled players from vastly different
types of leagues, it won't be that tough to also include the European
players with the North Americans.  Of course doing it this way means
that more players are listed than can be taken in the draft.

Ralph Baer   RPI '68, '70, '74