Sender:
From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 May 1994 05:54:47 -0400
Yesterday I listed a number of current college players who are
projected as being selected in the upcoming NHL draft.  Among them I
mentioned John Tuohy and Chris Patrick of Kent.  From information
posted elsewhere on Hockey-L, it is apparent that these two played for
the Kent School, which I imagine is a New England prep school, not for
Kent State.  The Hockey News did, however, state that both went to Kent
(CCHA).

Bill Fenwick wrote:

>RPI:

>Doug Battaglia      LW    Brockville Braves            Barrie, Ont.
>Eric Healey         C     New England Classics         Hull, MA

>Chris Aldous        D     Northwood Prep               Northwood, MA
>Bryan Tapper        D     Rexford Raiders              Scarborough, Ont.

I think that it should be Wexford.

>Bryon Massota       G     Hotchkiss School             Northford, CT

>It'll be interesting to see if Mike "5-7?  On a Soapbox, Maybe" Tamburro
>winds up with the starting job between the pipes now that Neil Little has
>moved on.

The article that appeared it The Troy Record quoted both Tamburro and
Coach Powers indicating that there would be a battle for the starting
goaltender job.  It also stated that Coach Powers has a tendency not to
like to platoon.  I certainly agree that there is no way that Tamburro
is even 5' 7".  He was actually listed as 5' 8" when he was recruited
two years ago.

>The Engineers bring in two defensemen to replace the two that are
>graduating, so they are still apparently going to have a total of only six
>-- and injuries and depth were a problem behind the blue line last year.

I think that RPI will always have this problem due to the limit of 18
scholarships.  They don't seem to attract many quality walkons, and I
suspect that split scholarships is not a viable option due to the cost
of an education at RPI.  I don't have the figures, but it wouldn't
surprise me if it would be cheaper to walkon at some state schools than
to pay half tuition at RPI and comparable private schools.

Mike wrote in discussing Blaine Lacher's signing with the Bruins.:

>OK, let's have a show of hands here...how many of us saw this on the
>news tonight and figured we'd be the first to post it?  Walk right
>over here and Dave Hendrickson will give you an honorary lifetime
>membership into the Hockey Get-A-Lifers.

My hand is down.  It is interesting that Aaron Israel's signing with
the Flyers appeared in The Washington Post, but at least in the edition
that I bought, Lacher's signing is omitted.  I guess that when the
Capitals were eliminated, the hockey information down here switched
from being minimal to being essentially nonexistant.  [I did read that
the Rangers won :-) .]

Ralph Baer   RPI '68, '70, '74